Sunday 17 May 2009

I've finished my first week of gigs with Juliet Annerino here in cairo. Last night our last show was at a place called After 8, a bar in downtown Cairo. If only every week I could play four nights. Maybe that will happen at some point, but for right now I'm just gonna have to keep making my connections and getting people together and seeing where I can find a gig. I think sub work will be a good way to break in, and I can talk to my friends and let them know that they can call me if their regular drummer can't make it. It's already rediculously hot here. yesterday I left the house at 4 in the afternoon and I almost couldn't stand it. but it's nothing compared to what it will be like in june, July and August. good lord. I'm thinking about Ramadan now, and how many cranky people there will be out during the day. So May is half over, and I can't belive it. April didn't go by too quickly, as I was still figuring things out, but now that I'm familiar with the scene and things are going on, time is just flying. It's totally crazy. Tonight I'm getting together with Wa'el to have one my prized lessons, and I say prized because they're few and far between, as he's very busy. We will work on some music and maybe set a date to get some studio time too. I've got my recording gear, so we can do some of that at home. I'm gonna check out some friends playing at a studio today too. And maybe head to Wa'el's house from there. Wa'el lives on the other side of the world from me, and I live in the center of Cairo. It might take him two hours to get to my house depending on when he comes. I'll probably go by cab today, which will take forever also. But I'm just happy to get together with him.

2 comments:

  1. Please: Keep out of the sun. Wear a hat outside. Drink a lot of bottled water and/or soda (with a tiny pinch of salt added).
    -Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man - it's awesome that you landed a gig! Take it easy on those arms, though. I hooked up with BJ last Saturday. He's doing great, but he's I'm the middle of exams. I copied you on an email to Chris Derosa, a UM drummer from yesteryear, who might still be in Cairo. I'm on a train from Cologne to Paris now, just hanging out. Speak soon!

    ReplyDelete