Friday 1 May 2009

one month down

It's kind of funny how things come around. I played in Jahfe in miami for two years, and now here in Egypt I'm playing with another reggae band of all Sudanese guys called United Nile Reggae. This band is just starting out to, and it makes me remember how it is at the beginning, trying to get a band together, learning the songs, getting your first gigs, etc. I'm not really in the band, as they have a drummer already, but I went with them to their gig last night and sat in on a couple tunes. Wednesday night I went to what I thought was a language exchange program, that these I met told me about, and it turned out it was the last night of their course, and they were having a party. The course is called Face to Face, and it's for Nubians to interact with Americans and for each to practice the other's language. Arabic, not Nubian. So they had the party and there was drumming and dancing and everybody had a good time. They are starting the new course today, and I will attend as this should be a good way to get serious about learning the language. I know a lot of phrases but I can't really speak freely yet. The people from the program are all cool and the other Americans there were cool too. I'll probably see most of them again today, as all the Nubians at least were really into it. It's crazy, I've already been here for a month. Still looking for a job, and hoping the gigs come through.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it's crazy. How do you think the United Nile Reggae will come along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Migi - sounds like things are really crazy over there! Zach just killed Forum with Fusion Ensemble. Juries are tomorrow, then I'm off to Europe next week. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI - it's Steve, not Mauricio. :-)

    ReplyDelete