Wednesday 1 April 2009

The first day in Egypt اليوم الاول في مصر

After spending a long day in London during my layover, I got to Cairo at 1 am to my hostal. The next morning, this morning, I called my roommate Alejandra, a Spanish girl, and made it over to my apartment. The cab drivers are almost as clueless as you are (Cairo's a big city), and mine had to make 3 stops to get directions to my place. We found it, and I spent the afternoon getting settled in and getting to know my neighborhood. Had dinner with two friends  who are living in Egypt right now, and it turns out we live about a 5 minute walk from each other. After dinner I wandered more around the streets, knowing that I wanted to find a cafe to sit and have tea. After passing several places I finally saw the one. Egyptian coffee shops are always small, dirty, and the best place to have a conversation. Started talking to one guy sitting there who couldn't really understand why this blond dude was speaking to him in broken arabic, but the great thing is that as soon as you talk to one guy all his buddies start talking to you, and that way two other guys sat down whom I chatted with for a long time. One of them tried to convert me to Islam, so I did, and that made him very happy. Al-Hamdulilla. These conversations made me remember why I loved Egypt so much the first time I went. People genuinely want to be your friend, and they love to talk and ask you questions. I know that I will be doing a lot of sitting and talking, which is more or less all the Egyptians do, during my 6 months here. I'm going to put up links, probably to a MySpace page, where I'll be posting songs that I record. Please comment or write back or whatever and keep in touch. Lotsa love 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Miguel!
    So glad you arrived safe and sound in Cairo ~~ sounds like it was a LONG journey!!!
    You are too funny ~~ you literally don't know a stranger, Miguel...and that's what makes you so special. (-:
    So...you converted to Islam after a 45 minute conversation with a couple of dudes in a filthy dirty coffee shop, eh? (I smiled when I read this part!)I'll bet you made their day!
    Hope you are feeling happy and settled very soon, Miguel! Lots of love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are doing this!!! I hope you get a lot out of your trip and that the Egyptians continue on being kind to you. Cant wait to hear more about the stories being told and the music being made. Hope you enjoy your stay and keep in touch.
    I wish you all the best.
    Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah... i can't believe you converted! NO i take that back, it wouldn't be Miguel if you didn't. I love you man. You are doing what i wish i could do.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. say wassup to africa for me, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome man. Can't wait to read more, thanks for putting this up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miguel: I love Cairo. I took CJB there in the 70's. I will look forward to reading your blog entries.

    Be cool and safe,

    Whit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Primitooooo

    Te seguiré por aquí también!

    Un abrazooo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I AGREE WITH MY MOM!
    You are so cool and you are going to know the entire city of Cairo before next week, I just know it! I am SO glad you started this blog, Migi, I will live vicariously through you and your adventures (but what else is new?!)

    Love love LOVE
    Rosita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alight Miguel - thanks for keeping us connected. Praise Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to read you finally made it to Cairo. We miss you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Migi! I had no idea you were going to Egypt!! I'm so glad it worked out for you man. I can't wait to read more.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete