Friday 3 April 2009

I sat outside the mosque near my house to listen to the sermon. Everyone knows the prayer and when to stand and sing and kneel and touch his head. Only men pray outside, but I saw a couple women going into the mosque. After the prayer, I went around the corner and got my first Foul sandwich, just a piece of pita bread with sloppy beans inside. In many street stands you tell the guy at the cashier what you want first and he gives you a little reciept to give to the guys making the food. There are several things in the window, but I only know the name of the foul. At some point I'll find out about the other stuff. Noise is picking up on the street now that the prayer is over. I think I'll look foward to the quiet of Friday morning every week. Last night I went with my new roommate and the guy whose place he took to downtown to walk around and have a beer. Downtown Cairo is always packed with people out shopping, getting ice cream, going to the movies, or just walking. Although it gets pretty chilly at night, the days seem to get hotter every minute. I can't imagine how the women here can stand to go so covered up, wearing full length robes to cover their faces and even gloves. The heat is tough to deal with and I'm still a little sick, with a cough and a headache. Today I might go to Khan al Khalili, a great market, or maybe to a fruit and vegetable market that is near my house. I've sort of avoided going to the supermaket yet, but for example yesterday I spent $1.50 to eat and that was plenty. I could save money living here, which would be fantastic in case I decide to travel again after this time here.                                                                                                     

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes Dear One!

    Dreams full-filled in near No-Time at all.
    Keep the blog up my Friend, it is good to hear of you.
    Bless!

    ~Travis~

    ReplyDelete